25-9-08 - Well, I’m officially now a student of the University of Ferrara. I know, most of you are saying, “wait, hasn’t she been in classes for the past two weeks?” The answer is both yes and no. I’ve been taking a class with the other Middkids which is a required literature and writing course (sort of an “English 099” if you will), but my actual university courses start next Monday. I have to pick three courses by the third week of classes to attend for the rest of the semester (again with the schedule weirdness). So far I have chosen: Italian Literature, Italian Linguistics, and either the History of the Art of Emilia-Romagna or the History of the Social Contract. So really just a nice light course load (ha ha). I’m hoping to have time to travel, but it doesn’t look like we’re going to get much time in terms of days off. I guess that’s what happens when your semester is 12 weeks. We have one three day weekend in December, which I’m hoping to use to visit MK in December (hope that’s ok MK, it’s Dec. 6-8). I’ve compiled the following list of places I’d like to see in Italy, some reasonable weekend trips, some requiring longer (after the semester ends, before exams start): Venice, Padova, Verona, Bologna, Assisi, Florence. I recently found out that the official festival of St. Francis is this next weekend of Oct. 4th, so I’d like to try to go then. I’m hoping the hostel still has space, I should hear back tomorrow. My searching for economical ways to travel has inspired me to write the following list.
Top 5 ways you know you’re a student traveler:
1. You’re happy to find a red eye
2. You choose when to travel based on the availably of hostel rooms
3. “Free breakfast” - becomes your favorite phrase
4. You find yourself asking if there’s a student discount at the supermarket, bar, etc.
5. Your motto is “getting there is half the fun”
No comments:
Post a Comment