Saturday, October 11, 2008

Classes Update pt. 2

I have a new pet-peve.  It's professors who are really and completely rigid about the importance of being at their class ON TIME EVERY DAY, but don't respect the schedule themselves.  I realize this is a bit of a rant, but my linguistics professor spends at least five and usually ten minutes at the beginning of EVERY class telling us how important it is to be in class every day on time (hello, ever heard of preaching to the choir?).  She asks specific people if they were in class yesterday and rants at students who are late saying that we can't possibly understand what is happening in her class if we're late or we miss a day.  Then she keeps talking right over our class time.  Our Friday class had to be rescheduled, so she asked who could make it to class friday from 10-11, about 7 of 70 people could, but she went ahead and scheduled it for then anyway, telling the others it would be fine to miss whatever courses they had at that time.  Then, on Friday, at about 11 she said, "and we'll conclude with this," then continued talking for another fifteen minutes and then said "you guys can stay, right? Shall I continue?"  Without waiting for an answer she continued on for another fifteen minutes.  I do think that this is a good class for me to take but I really need a little help finding the patience to deal with this professor.  She also calls me "our american friend" regularly in front of the class, which is kind of demeaning.  She doesn't tolerate questions well.  Everyone who's asked a question has gotten a response like "we already talked about that" or "it's in the book."  Okay, rant over, I feel a little better now and will try again next week to take a deep breath and just let this stuff roll right off.

In other news, I made a reservation at a hostel in Verona for next weekend.  It's way easier to get to than Assisi, so I'll be going Sat. morning and coming back Sun. evening with pictures to follow.  I'm also running out of recipies and am overwhelmed by the amount of info on the web, so if anyone has any favorites that are easy and can be made for one, I'd appreciate you passing them along to me via e-mail.  For those of you who don't have my e-mail it's: 

lnagel@middlebury.edu 

And speaking of addresses, I've found that the postman doesn't know which mailbox belongs to "interno 11" as the mailboxes are not numbered, so I've made the following change in my mailing address:

Leah Nagel
c/o: Marsigliese Giuseppina
Via Belgio, 24
Ferrara, Emilia-Romagna  44100

I did receive some lovely photos of the colorado fall colors from Nana (thanks, it made my day) and some cute cards from mom (love the dog one), but they were placed on top of the mailboxes instead of inside mine, hence the address change.
Italy

1 comment:

Alison said...

Yeah... professors who don't respect time are REALLY annoying. Overall, she doesn't sound like a wholly pleasant person - lame!

Have fun in Verona, when you go! (Though you may have another post before you do that. :)