Today's the big day and I am surprisingly relaxed. This morning we were woken at 5:20 to go to the local fish auction. I was hoping we might buy a big tuna for our provisions, but sadly, we didn't. The auction took place in a giant refrigerated warehouse where hundreds of tuna, swordfish, and mahi were laid out and numbered. Our group assembled out of the way where the man in charge explained to us that head chefs from all over the world came to bid on individual fish to use in their restaurants.
I watched two men cutting samples from each fish, a small fillet piece by the tail and a deep core piece behind the pectoral fin. The variation in color and fat marbling was obvious even to me.
The tuna, some of which weighed up to 190# seemed to be selling for around $5/lb, which seems like a great deal until you factor in flying the chef out to pick the fish and flying the fish back to the restaurant all on a DAILY basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment